Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sometimes you need to increase income to reach very early retirement

Being frugal is sometimes not enough for extremely early retirement (or financial independence) 

Extremely early retirement is possible through frugal living, but it is also important to have a decent come to let you save up fast. If you only make what counts for minimum wage in your country, even a high percentage isn't much money and who wants to live on a completely bare-bones depression budget?  We should live off of the basics, but not suffer to get by.

To me frugal is to only spend on what you need to be healthy, happy, and comfortable over the long term. I don't need to have a night at the cinema to be happy. At least I don't need that more than once a month (or perhaps once every two months.

I do however need to eat a variety of vegetables on a regular basis. If I don't eat my veggies, I feel bad and lethargic. I know that if I only ate the cheapest vegetables I'd spent a little less on food, but it would cause a large decrease in happiness compared to the savings of perhaps 30-40 pesos per week.

Being frugal is also not buying on impulse or getting something just because it is cool, trendy, or what all your friends have. It is living without spending a lot of money on entertainment.

Having said that, we all have to eat, pay for a place to live, and clothes to wear. Unless you have a several thousand dollar a month income or live for free with your parents, it will be difficult for you to save the 80% of income needed to retire in about 6 years.  saving 80% spending 20% withdrawing 4% annually 6.25 =25/(0.8/0.2).


The less you save the longer it will take you to reach your very early retirement savings goal. I was a little disappointed to see that at my current 50% savings  (about 40% more than your typical earthling), It will take me about 25 years according to the formula. 25 =25/(0.5/0.5) If I were in my early 20s that would be fine, but I'm almost 36 years old and I want to retire in my mid 40s so I need to make a plan to increase that percent!


If I go from 50% to 60% (which would either mean packing my sandwich or rice with vegetables or eating at home everyday and perhaps washing my clothes by hand), It will take me about 17 years. That's still too long for me.


The only solution is to live frugally and increase income. The more I make while maintaining my expenses at the current (frugal, but no suffering) level, the more I will save (the higher the percent for savings).


At 70% savings, I can retire at almost 11 years. That's not bad. It is one year more than I'd like, but I am actually planning on working on my artwork so I could sell a few paintings and digital artwork and sell some graphic design. I very much doubt that Print-on-Demand websites will go away so I won't have to live 100% off my savings. I might go into semi-retirement after 8 years if I can build a small or tiny house in the country and have a garden, internet, and a solar water heater. It is hard to say since I only recently thought of the idea. It would be fun to have a couple years dedicated to creating art and design to survive on and live simply. Sometimes being a teacher with a full schedule can be stressful.


Now that I know I need to increase my income and live simply to reach my retirement goal, the next step is to find ways to increase that income. Do I want to find another job? Perhaps I could blog for someone else or write a book? I could put extra time into creating great graphic design. I could try to find more translation work. It is stressful, but a long translation could mean a lot of income if I could find someone who needs that help. I could also raise prices for English classes, but that also will increase the possibility that people will cancel when they have unplanned expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment