Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Emergency Saving Fund

As a private teacher you can imagine that my income is extremely irregular, but there are not that many things I could legally do on my own schedule and still be able to pay the bills. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, but it isn't exactly easy. I have to know the grammar rules, be able to explain things and of course be willing to teach before my students start work, during the 2pm lunch, after they finish work, and of course be willing to carry a bag with 3-5 kilograms of stuff that I need for teaching since I don't have an office desk to lock things in or a company fridge to store my lunch.

Since I don't think that teaching English classes is something that I'll be able to enjoy or physically do for perhaps the next ten years, I need an exit strategy. Before I started my first investments this April (2012), I had to first fund an emergency fund in cash.  I did that in January and February before I even thought of trying to retire early or become financially independent years earlier than what is considered proper by most financial advice websites. At the time I thought, If I am going to invest as much as possible for my own condo or income fund, I need to have cash for anything unexpected since liquidating investments usually causes special fees. Liquidating investments may cause a loss. Also early liquidation of investments often means having to wait several days or months to get cash.

One final simple reason why an emergency fund is essential:
If I invest every extra peso for investments and I get sick or need money I'll have to borrow from that fund to get by until the next half of the month when I charge my students again. At that point I can put the money back into savings. Without special cash savings, I would either save less or eventually have a problem and need to borrow or put expenses on my credit card.

What isn't an emergency fund?  
An emergency fund isn't an investment that would require waiting a day or more to have the cash. If it is an emergency you need the money today!
An emergency fund isn't a credit card or other line of credit with a financial institution. You don't owe money on it since it is your savings in cash.

How much did I decide to save in my emergency fund?
there are many things to consider for how much money to keep in cash for emergencies. I decided to keep living expenses for 2 months in cash and 2 months expenses in a Certificate of Deposit for 90 days.  Four months of living expenses isn't a lot of money, but it should get me by until I'm able to liquidate future investments if I need it.

Lets say that I lose my classes so my income drops near zero. I'll have 2 months cash expenses to use while I look for more work or blog or do artwork or whatever. By the time that's gone, the CD should expire and I'll have that money available in cash.

If I don't have an emergency, I'll renew the CD for another 30 days. At least this way I'll earn some interest on the cash and still be covered for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment