Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Determining how much to put in Emergency Savings Fund

Before determining how much money to put in the emergency fund, I had to determine how much money I normally spend since it is best to base it on expenses instead of normal income.  

Thankfully I had created a Google Docs spreadsheet where I had made a simple calculation of approx. income and approx expenses. I discovered that my estimate was pretty correct and that the more classes I taught, the more I spent since I would have to spend more on transportation and food unless I wanted to carry a packed lunch with all my other stuff. 

I also would go to restaurants and stands in the street since it was faster or more comfortable for me. There is also a social aspect involved. It is nice to have a quick chat with someone who isn't a student or roommate.

How much should you save in your emergency fund?

The first thing you'd want to consider is your dependents.  Do you have any children or do you take care of your spouse or parents?  If you do I'd suggest having twice as much money in your emergency fund perhaps to to even a year of expenses (including expenses you pay for them). If you have dependents who cannot work, you should consider getting a life/disability insurance policy in case the worst thing happens.

Next consider pets. Your dog or cat might need to go to the vet. In some places, a veterinarian could get very expensive. If you have a pet, add a couple months more to emergency fund.

Now consider health insurance. Do you have health insurance? If not add a couple more month's to the fund. If you have health insurance, make sure your emergency fund has much more money than your health insurance plan's deductible.

Finally think about your mortgage. If you have big mortgage payments and you don't want to consider selling your home in an emergency, be sure you have enough to cover several months of mortgage payments. You don't want to pay late or missed payment fees nor do you want to have foreclosure proceedings start.

As you invest, you'll need less money in cash since you could sell stocks, bonds, or mutual funds to pay your bills, but until you have large investments, it is best to be ready for problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment