Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Personal expenses Spring 2012


Here is a glimpse at my current expenses while working and my thoughts regarding current spending levels in each area. It will vary a lot, but you'll notice that compared to the typical person from the USA, I live in extreme poverty, yet for here, I'd probably be considered lower middle class. If I only lived with a working significant other I'd live better. Single without children living is more expensive than married without children because of having to find a roommate and you can't expect them to share all the costs only rent and basic utilities. You also never know when they'll move out and you'll have to pay more and find someone else or move to another place. Remember everything is in pesos!

I can adapt pretty easily and when I make nothing I'm good at cooking at home and walking everywhere and washing clothes by hand.  When I work a lot my expenses go up a lot, but at least I can save money when I work.

 I've saved 20,000 in the bank for emergency living expenses and put half in a certificate of deposit to get some interest for 90 days. Interest bearing accounts have really high minimum balances here. So now I'm starting my investing phase. I'm depositing money to my AFORE which is an independent retirement account that invests mostly in bonds and gets around 6-7%. I can't select investments the bank decides based on age groups. I can only withdraw money (any voluntary contributions) once every 6 months so it is good place to put medium to long term investments.

Rent 1267

 (sharing 3 bedroom cheap apartment with 2 others) I don't think I could find cheaper near a subway station without moving to a neighborhood known for armed robbery.

Food 3000

This is one I'm working on because when I don't work this drops down to 1000 pesos. (when I don't work I cook and people think I'm vegetarian since I cut back on meat then too.)
I'm trying to get it down to 2000 while working a lot.  3000 a month is basically 100 a day (9 dollars a day +/- goes by so fast even buying food sold on the street and a soda.) I'm going home to eat between classes now twice a week and other days perhaps I can pack sandwiches or something)

Transport 1500
I teach in 3 different places right now. Atizapan (Northwest), Polanco (west-central), and Roma Norte. (almost central) I can't move near classes because 1. those areas have MUCH higer rent (perhaps 8,000 in Roma Norte, perhaps 16,000 in Polanco, and 3,500 in Atizapan) and in anycase if I lived near one I'd be far from the others and who knows when someone will ask for classes in some other part of the city.)
I take the metro (subway) and buses everywhere. It averages out to about 50 pesos a day mostly bus cost since the subway is partially funded by the state and the bus to Atizapan where I currently teach most classes is full price. If I stopped working I probably would not go there very often.

Internet 210

It is a good connection and I use it everyday when at home. I use it to communicate with family and friends and of course to check the sites where I upload artwork and designs.
When I'm financially independent I plan on just doing art and graphic design.

Cell 300
I'm on a two year contract. It is one of the cheapest plans I could find that would give me enough text messages and internet. I only get one hour call time, but I normally use its internet to send messages on facebook or whatapp. I had canceled the telephone service here since the roommates didn't want to help with the bill like they had agreed.

Laundry 400
I could wash by hand. I was working on decluttering this weekend, but we'll see. I notice that clothes wear out faster when I wash by hand even though I save on cleaning cost.

Supplies 500

stuff for creating artwork, personal care products, DVDs for backing up artwork, etc. normally 300-600 pesos.

Electricity 100
approx. it is actually a bill that comes every other month and split three ways. Electricity costs vary by usage and neighborhood. Poor areas pay less. Expensive areas like Polanco pay full cost. One of my roommates has the bill and he hasn't shown it too me and he's been at his parents' house all week. I'm worried that he's going to move back home.

Natural Gas 100
Here you buy tanks of gas of different sizes and it depends on how often you cook and if you keep your water heater on hot, warm, or off between baths.
We actually don't have a tank connected to the water heater so I've been showering in cold water. I've done that off and on for years. It isn't enjoyable at all, but it is tolerable.
If I had my own house I'd install a solar water heater and panels, but you can't do that when you rent.

In total I am currently spending about 7,500 pesos a month on the basics + laundry, cell, and internet.

Since I want to retire or be financially independent, saving 10-20% of my income isn't enough. It is essential that I reduce costs as much as possible while working. Ideally, I'd save at least 50% every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment