Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I want to retire in 10 years when I'm almost 46

Last Thursday, I was talking to a student who owns a small accounting firm. I've had conversation classes with him off and on for probably 7 years. We typically meet once a week.
I'm not sure how exactly, but we got into a conversation about the future.  His plan is to have his big house to enjoy with his family in a good neighborhood and live well. He loves his work, but he plans on stopping around the age of 60 or perhaps late 50s or at 65 depending on how things go. I think he has a great plan since he loves his work. I don't think there is a right or wrong as long as you have a plan that will meet what you need and want out of life.

I told him something that surprised him. He shouldn't have been surprised. You'd think he wouldn't be that surprised, but I saw a shocked look on his face for a few seconds.  I told him that I want to retire in 10 years.

We started to discuss the numbers since accountants need to see the numbers to fully relate to the concept.  We decided that saving an average of 8000 pesos a month would probably be enough to get by with minimal expenses since I'd make interest which would compound and of course I don't have any children to take care of or a mortgage to pay for.

The next question was what I would do if I retired in ten years.  He understood my answer although he couldn't really relate.  I told him that I'd travel off and on. I'd love backpacking and staying at hostels and meeting people and trying new things and taking photos and all that.   I don't want to wait until I'm old to experience that. If you wait until you're 65 to enjoy your retirement, you'll probably only have a few more years of good health to actually travel and do all that.  You'll probably live into your 80s if you don't get sick, but most people die in their 80s and have not-so-great health in their 70s.  I want to be able to enjoy a few decades of travel, discovery, trying new things, and spending time with friends and loved ones BEFORE I get that old.

If I had the same awareness 10 years ago, I would have planned to retire sooner, but I wasn't mature enough in my 20s to take the decision to save a high percent of my income skipping some immediate pleasure to have it years from now. I suppose most of us think that we have decades more before we should even think about it. I think that after reading the typical advice of working and saving 10% and retiring when you are too old to fully enjoy it wasn't very motivating to me. To retire early, you need to save a very high percent of your income and invest it, but I NEVER saw any popular personal finance adviser recommend it. I always read to save 10% and have an emergency fund and just keep working until you're old and hopefully have paid off your huge mortgage on the big house.

Yet, I think the problem is really how I define retirement. Retirement for me is NOT sitting on the balcony bored watching people walk by and watching some television.  To me retirement will be living simply, gardening if I can find the space, learning and growing as a person, and getting inspired and helping others when I can without being taken advantage of.

I don't plan on not working at all. I plan on working part time when I feel like it not working because I have to because I need to pay the rent and bills. Perhaps I'll teach one group or become a writer. I might decide to study in a study from home using the internet for a university degree. I might take some painting or drawing courses or learn something completely new.

Retirement for me is financial independence. The ability to choose what you want to do or not do on your own terms.


No comments:

Post a Comment