Monday, May 21, 2012

The Joy of using cash for spending

When I look back on the last 12 years of my life I see that many things I didn't need were bought with a debit card and some where bought with a credit card.  You might not find that to be significant, but it really is.

Everytime I wanted something and had a debit or credit card available, I could purchase without thinking and then I'd have something that would make me happy for a few days to a few weeks or perhaps it was something I consumed in the moment otherwise it would end up in the clutter with all the other stuff I had accumulated.

I wouldn't want to get rid of it right away because I just spent money on it.  That's how it usually works for most of us. It made us happy in the moment, but now we need to find a space to put it, something to put it in, or we have to take time to clean or maintain it.

Yeah, it seems the more stuff we have, the less money we have and the more money we spend.  That's why living on cash is easier when you have a budget.

How do I do it?  First you have to keep a budget. I recommend following something like the 60% solution on MSN (basically no more than 60% regular expenses, 10% entertainment, and 30% savings (10% short term, 10% long term, 10% retirement).   Once that gets easy you can start increasing your savings to a decent level. 50% savings would be good for most people, but if you haven't kept and followed a budget before, 30% will seem huge and impossible at first.  I lived on the 60% budget for almost a year before deciding to start my extreme retirement or financial independence journey.

Once you have your budget and cash your check, separate into envelops or piles the money for that month's rent (or better yet the next month's rent), entertainment, and daily spending money for that period.  If you are paid weekly then separate daily expenses and entertainment for that week only.  Before you leave work or the night before separate the money you need to survive that day and put it in your billfold.  If you spend less, you can keep it for another day. If you spend less everyday, adjust your daily expenses down a little in the budget and put the rest back into savings. Don't spend more than you budgeted + left over funds from other days. If your budget is $10 a day in transportation, food, and misc. don't spend more. In fact, don't put more than your daily allowance in your pocket.  Keep the rest locked away in a safe place where it won't get stolen.

Don't make a point of spending it all either.  When you make a purchase ask yourself if you really need it or if there is an alternative.  Could you cook at home today instead of going to the restaurant? Could you cook one day and bring the left overs to work the next day or two for lunch?

Once you get used to using cash for every day expenses using this method, you'll break the debit & credit hard habit, you'll spend less on things, food, and bank fees!

No comments:

Post a Comment