Monday, May 7, 2012

Background for early retirement journey

Getting started for very early retirement or financial independence


Hello everyone! I'm almost 36 and I've lived in the Greater Mexico City area including one of the cheaper suburbs (big mistake)for almost 11 and a half years working as an English teacher. I went independent several years ago. I was saving money slowly and spent it all during the big 2009-2011 recession and thankfully have recovered.

First of all, I talk about numbers in Mexican Pesos. I probably make less than 1/5 the money than most of you do at your jobs even though I'm doing better right now than ever before in the last 11 years. Of course everything could change next month since I'm working on my own and my only "marketing" is asking students and friends to recommend me.
I also sell artwork online. I started at the end of 2007 and slowly growing, but that really doesn't pay for more than my internet connection most months.
Issues:

Rent is a big issue. I share a 3 bedroom apartment in a poor neighborhood 5 minute walk to the nearest subway station, but my roommates are not very stable and they could move out any month.

Transportation is a big problem. Mexico City has a lot of opportunities, but since it is one of the largest cities and metropolitan areas in the world it is very normal to spend an hour or more to go from one place to another. I don't give classes near home, but not very far either.

It takes me typically between 1 and 1.5 hours between classes or classes to home ( I teach at the student's residence typically their office)
I take the bus and/or subway to get around.

Food cost is a big issue when I have a busy schedule (3 classes a day is a lot when you consider distances and travel time). I don't have an office fridge to store food and since I don't have a car either I really don't have the desire to carry packed food along with my books, DVDs, and other teaching supplies.
I've been lurking for about a week since I found the site and many of the ideas clicked. I could never get excited about retiring when I'm too old to enjoy it (How many 60+ are really in excellent health? perhaps half?)
Goals:

I'd like to own a tiny condo near central mexico city so I can't get around well on the subway. A tiny apartment in a poor area starts at 600,000 pesos so by the time I've saved up it will probably cost at least 700,000. By tiny condo, I mean approx. 45 square meters in a building with dozens of poor neighbors.

Goal 2 is to alternatively buy a relatively large property near one of the smaller cites for country living (I miss gardening). It would probably be cheaper to start, but I'd spend more on transportation since I'd need a car to go to the closest city.

I've been thinking about getting 800 square meters near Cuautla which is about 3 hours away by bus. I'm guessing it would cost me about one million pesos for a property of that size and build a decent house and a small pool on it although it could be done in stages. (1 buy a property and get a wall around it. 2. get the pool hole dug. 3. get house foundation poured. 4. build the minimal house and get solar power and solar water heater installed. 4. expand enough to be comfortable.) If I go with this option I'd keep renting and working a room here and go there on the weekends at least until I'm financially independent.
Meanwhile I keep saving and waiting for the shoe to drop. I figure one day my students will get laid off or something else will occur so in any case I need to save for when there isn't demand for classes.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how much money I need to save to be able to take a withdrawal rate of 4% or be able to pay for either land or the tiny apartment. Do any readers have suggestions?  I've been modifying my Google Docs budget spreadsheet and including a page for net worth and trying to figure out how to get it to tell me how much I need based on average expenses and current savings. I think It would keep me motivated to see the numbers improve with a definite goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment