Thursday, July 19, 2012

Is life really too short to invest for your future?

I had an interesting chat with my other new roommate two nights ago. We were discussing my philosophy which isn't really new to me. Many people believe in living simply and saving for the future unfortunately here in Mexico and apparently in most of Latin America (this roommate is from Venezuela), the habit of saving is only for very short term savings typical reasons for saving money were for a party, for vacation, and for home electronics. Only about 8% of Mexicans according to the survey I read in a newspaper actually are saving anything for their retirement even though over 50% say they have the habit of saving.

Let me get back to the conversation. My roommate mentioned how its possible to die soon and not be able to enjoy your savings and early retirement. That is true but I think the odds are much higher that I'll live to be at least 50 and since all my grandparents ( I believe) were mid-80s or older when they died, unless I get sick or die from an accident I'll most likely live to my mid-seventies or older.

I guess it comes down to two things, how long you expect to live and if you believe that pleasure today is more important than pleasure tomorrow and the day after.  In other words, is it worth it to sacrifice the car or the apartment in an expensive area and the restaurant meals in favor of simple living in a cheap apartment sharing with roommates so that you'll be able to cover emergencies and if there aren't any emergencies in the next 6-10 years be able to retire early?

Only you can answer that question for yourself.  Like him, I also think that life is too short. I think it is very possible that I could die before I'm 67 or whatever the government's retirement age happens to be.  I would like to be able to be financially free and do whatever I want for years before that time. I'd like to travel the world and make destination photo books to sell online. I'd like to meet new people, try new food, and learn new languages. I'd like to have time to take lessons to improve my manual art skills. If I didn't have to work everyday to live, I'd have a lot more time for those activities especially travel.

It is difficult to say if I'll be able to reach the goal since I'm averaging about 50% savings even with my frugal lifestyle. My income isn't high enough to save more. I do know that even a little makes a big difference over time.

Are you one of the 92% who leaves your normal-old-age retirement to God or your children?  It is time to wake up because you might not die young as you planned and your children might be spending their money on your grandchildren instead of you.  What does life is short mean to you?  Does it mean to forget the future and be irresponsible or does it mean to plan for tomorrow?


No comments:

Post a Comment