Sunday, July 1, 2012

Having Roommates makes a big difference! Reduce your housing costs for Financial Independence.

The last 7 month's have been a little crazy for me.  Before mid-December of 2011 I was in a stable roommate situation in a very cheap and very tiny town home very far out in the suburbs.  I wasn't happy with my roommate due to his financial decisions (always broke do to poor judgement)  and due to his occasional tantrums (even though he is one year older than me, he seemed more like a grade school student when he didn't get his way).  Obviously, I wanted to change my situation because happiness is more important than money and if you are not happy at home, you won't be truly happy elsewhere.

I was offered the opportunity to share a 3 bedroom apartment in a slightly poor area 30 minutes in transportation north of downtown just a few minutes walk from a subway station.  My cut of the expenses was much more than I was paying  way out in the suburbs, but I had poor neighbors and I knew that I didn't want to rent alone due to the expense and of course rents are much higher in the city proper than on the outskirts of the metropolitan area.   I accepted and the drama quickly started.  I discovered I replaced one bad roommate with two.  These were very dishonest and noisy. They loved having loud parties every holiday and all night.  I tried again to find a room to rent in a decent place for a good price, but I didn't find one.

As luck would have it one bad roommate moved out in March about half way through a month he didn't pay. He owed me some money too. I paid more to cover half of his room's cost that month. I was happy that he left because I learned to despise him during the few months we shared the apartment.

In May, I discovered that the OTHER roommate, who did find someone to rent the other room the next month, had lied to me and the new (better roommate) about needing to pay an extra month of deposit. It wasn't true.  Last month (May) that roommate left leaving his stuff and owing money for the electricty and water bill which he said he'd pay but never did. He of course owed money to the landlady and to me for the last month's rent and the "extra deposit" money I had given him.   Thankfully a mutual friend was able to pressure him to give money for (most of ) his outstanding bills at the apartment.

Now starting July, I discover that I'm the one in charge of the roommate situation here but also in charge of paying the rent and the basic bills (internet, water, gas, electricity).  I didn't imagine it would turn out like this, but life does that to you.  You think everything will be just right and then everything changes!

What's different?  Well I'll be signing a one year contract for renting here. It doesn't bother me because it isn't expensive and it is a good location.  There was one problem.  for June, I still hadn't found a roommate for the extra room so I paid 2 of the 3 rooms here.  I got 1 month back from the money they got from the roommate who left in May, but that money went from my pocket back out as rent.

How does it feel to pay 2/3 of the apartment instead of 1/3? It felt horrible because my housing cost doubled.  Double rent means 1267 pesos less in savings or for other expenses like clothing or whatever else I could use.

In an ideal world I'd be able to find good honest and responsible roommates from the start, but it seems you don't really know what someone's like until you live with them for a few months!

What if I had rented this apartment by myself from the start like many people?  I would have saved 2533 pesos less each month for the months I have had paying roommates. That is a huge amount! People who rent a house or an apartment with more than one bedroom and don't rent out the other room are wasting money every single month.  Yes, you can have bad roommates, but you can also find good ones eventually.  Every month you share the cost of your home, you can save money for other things you need or for your retirement.

Lets say you don't care about retirement, but you are renting a 2 bedroom apartment alone.  If you can find someone to pay 50% of your rent to stay in the other room, you could save the other half for emergencies, for a vacation (instead of using the credit card), to buy your own place in cash eventually, or perhaps for that large screen 3D LED/LCD TV you've been drooling over. Sure it might take a few months or more to pay for that television in savings, but the point is that sharing makes financial sense.

I am happy to report that two days ago after a month of asking friends in Facebook, MSN, etc. if they know of anyone who wants to share, a friend let me know of two best friends needing a place to stay. They'd prefer separate rooms, but for the moment they can share.   I gave a price of rent plus general expenses to cover bills plus cleaning supplies, toilet paper, and stuff like that.  NO, I won't make any profit on this. Any extra money after paying bills and other general apartment expenses I'll set aside for things requested.

Last night after their first night here, one suggested getting a washing machine. That really wouldn't be a bad expense since I hate washing by hand and a washing machine would pay for its self in 12-15 months including the extra cost of electricity, water and detergent. I didn't want to get one because I didn't know if I'd even still be living here in 2-3 months, but since I'll be signing a contract for a year and finally have people in the other room, I might just go for it if I can find a machine that isn't more than 4000 pesos.  It would eat my extra savings the first month, but I'd save about 350 pesos each month by not dropping of my clothes to be washed every week. How much would I save with a full house of roommates using a washer? Probably not much, but if each pays 100 pesos more in their rent, that would cover the extra utilities and everyone would be happy. They'd save money and so would I.  

What's next for me?  I know I spend too much on food, but what I'd really like right now is to find a roommate to share my bedroom with. I'd probably spend 1 or two month's in savings just getting my essential stuff organized to make room for someone else, but later I'd have an extra 633 pesos each month for saving or again for whatever I want.  Plus, I really like sharing with others as long as they are not noisy and are responsible. I'm really not sure if I'll put up an advertisement for sharing my room, but if anyone asks I'll be sure to mention the opportunity!

How is my financial freedom situation different from others online? I make very little money compared to most I see in forums online. I'm not an engineer or physicist or any other high paying occupation. I work freelance so my income is irregular, I just need to sacrifice more in spending. What someone in USA considers bare-essentials seems very luxurious to me with their car, whole apartment and budget that includes clothing and other extras. I'm a shy extrovert. I like being with good people so even sharing my own room would be good.  If you are introverted, find another introvert for your OTHER bedrooms. Since both of you will need more alone time, you'll discover you'll chat for a few minutes and be in your bedrooms most of the time you're at home!

If you are lucky enough to have a good steady income, take advantage of the opportunity to have roommates and save money for your future.  If your extra rooms and garage are full of stuff you haven't touched for at least a year, plan a garage sale, sell it on E-bay, or just donate that stuff to Goodwill!




No comments:

Post a Comment