Thursday, November 1, 2012

Personal update


It is time for another rambling update.

I put 51% of my income this month (of $12,075 yes everything is always in pesos so yes, if you are new to my thread, I am poor. :-) ) in different investments part in my CetesDirecto account as CETES, part as a 30 year bond and some as international funds mostly emerging markets in my investment account. My BMV selections are still up by around 14% so the market must still like Mexican companies. of course all the international investing is keeping CETES below inflation which is still officially below 5% for the year. (although food is probably around 8%)

I have been having problems with one of my English groups, I was 12 minutes late entering class so they decided they wouldn't attend that class and that I needed to give them another class later to make up for it so I told them no and that this Tuesday they can find a new teacher. I also had started a class for one of the students of that group and her husband at a big discount and I told them they can continue at the normal price if they wish.  In effect I lost about one third of my income for this next month. It was really stressing me out though and if I let this group get away with canceling at the last minute they'd tell other groups and they'd start doing it too.

The good thing is that now I only have to make the hour and a half trip to Atizapan on Tuesdays and Fridays. I'll also be home by 6pm both days. With the problem group I got home about 9:40 on Tuesdays. I still have a Monday morning class about an hour away by bus or subway and a Thursday morning class also about an hour away. Remember Mexico City is a megacity, so only an hour away is good. More than an hour is   bad. I'm open to starting new groups since an even lower income means that even with roommates and sharing rooms, etc, it will be even harder to save without the income from those two groups.  In any case, my remaining classes will cover all my essential bills so I have no reason to touch my investments or emergency money in November.

One of my roommates mentioned (last month) the possibility of working in the area he supervises doing data entry and other admin assistant work. I said that it would be good since I'd be making about the same money plus have benefits like vacation, but he still hasn't told me when they'll be having interviews so it is hard to say if it is true or not. I hope so. Having a regular office type job 5 days a week and classes before or after work or on Saturdays would be great!  Yeah, if that happens I'd have to leave most or all remaining groups in Atizapan, but I could look for new groups near his office in Polanco.

One roommate is still behind one money. He promised to pay what he owes me from last month tomorrow and to be caught up tomorrow. Another needs to pay me tomorrow too so lets hope the follow through. The one who was sharing my room left to share with his university classmates and a new person should be moved in next week. I hope this new one can stay a while longer.

My net worth (using valuations of different investment accounts + cash) is at $116,884  (yes as always in Pesos) I know that is pocket change for most of you but I'm very happy. It went up about 3,000 in existing investment value since the stock market went up and about 6,000 in earned income contributions I made from being so frugal.  
55% of my network is in retirement accounts. It was at 67% in April. :-)  I expect November and December Net worth to be flat or to go down a little since most classes are canceled after the 12th of December and they don't start back until January 6th.  It all depends on the new potential job and any art/design income I can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment