Thursday, August 30, 2012

When you are doing well don't tell your friends or family.

I've discovered that at least in Latin America, it is best to tell people how bad you're doing. I've been working hard at cutting expenses and minimizing others. I'm still spending too much on food, but much less than many people I know.

Even though I only just implemented my investment strategy this month (The strategy I've been working on for several months), I've already gotten comments that "I make more than them so I should be more generous." or that I'm very "cheap" because I am not sharing my new found wealth.

It is ridiculous because I have been struggling and making sacrifices to save and invest what I can of the very low (much less than minimum wage in the United States) income I have. I won't see income above a few dollars a month for at least a year and that is supposing that I have non-stop work for the next twelve months. That is pretty doubtful since most of my groups cancel most of December and half of January plus a week or two for holy week in the spring. Of course for those few dollar a month earnings I'm saving much more which is a net loss every month; sacrificing money today for money years from now. It isn't as if I had won the lottery or inherited a fortune.

I have:
  • found roommates for the other rooms in the apartment.
  • found a roommate to share my room.
  • one roommate uses my closet and sleeps in the living room.
  • refused to buy a car and I only take a taxi when necessary.
  • limited myself to inexpensive food when at home and eating out. When I eat out I normally buy something very cheap on the street.
  • started washing my clothes by hand when I have time to do so. 
  • rented an apartment in a relatively poor area of the city with good public transportation.
  • recycled and reused what I can.
  • stopped buying magazines or newspapers except when they are for use in my English classes. I have been reading some newspapers and magazines at the university library where I teach a few days a week and I'll read news articles online.
  • refused to buy more gadgets except as a replacement.
  • paid my credit card in full every month. 
  • refused any unjustified regular expenses. I have my cell phone and internet at home. I don't need anything else that isn't essential.
I have many more things to do like try cooking more of my food at home, but I feel good to know that I'm making progress. This doesn't make me "very cheap", it makes me responsible.  I don't have to ask friends for a loan. I don't have to take what doesn't belong to me since I am being responsible with my low income.  No, I don't have a huge bank account. I decided to keep no more than one month's income in cash except in the event that I take a much needed vacation.  No, I couldn't live for a year on my investments. I suppose if I could cash everything out I'd be able to survive for a little under a year, but it would be only survival. Of course, I would then have nothing for retirement nor for a house or condo to call home.

It seems that all the minor miracles I've been managing to have humble savings is considered to be a horrible thing to the general population. I should, according to them, spend all my money on stuff and on them and forget about being responsible or savings. Will they take care of me one day? Will they give me food, clothing, and shelter?  Of course they won't!  They are just jealous of what little someone else has been able to manage. They are jealous that I've made the commitment to prepare for my future. 

My advice to you is that if you have friends or family who are like them, tell them you are broke, that you have no savings and that you aren't sure if you'll be able to pay your rent next month. They'll be happy thinking you're just as bad off as they are and when you want to save money instead of spending a huge portion of your paycheck on a night at a bar or on a cruise ship vacation. Tell them you can't afford it because you need to buy a new television or other stuff that they would think is important. 


No comments:

Post a Comment